Loaded Lamb Gyros with Grilled Garlic Tzatziki
Loaded Lamb Gyros with Grilled Garlic TzatzikiPrint recipe
- 1 bunch oregano, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbs Squeaky Gate The All Rounder extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1.8kg Great Southern boneless lamb leg, butterflied
- 4 large Greek pitta
- 2 tbs Western Star Original Salted Butter, melted
Grilled Garlic Tzatziki
- 1 head garlic
- 1 cup natural, unflavoured yoghurt
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, sliced in half, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut into 0.5cm half moons
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 head Cos lettuce, finely sliced
Step 1. Heat the FORCE Everdure FORCE BBQ grill to medium-high. Wrap garlic head in foil and place into the closed BBQ to start cooking while the BBQ preheats. Cook garlic for 15-20 minutes until soft when squished with some tongs. Allow to sit aside until cool enough to handle.
Step 2. In a small bowl, mix together the oregano leaves, garlic powder, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Place lamb in a large dish and coat in the marinade, massaging into the meat. Allow to marinate for 1 hour at room temperature if you have the time.
Step 3. Place the marinated lamb straight onto the grill. Cook for 10 minutes on each side, remove and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Step 4. While the meat is resting, remove the skins from the garlic flesh and mash with a fork until pureed. Add to a bowl with the remaining ingredients for the Grilled Garlic Tzatziki. Mix well to combine.
Step 5. With the BBQ still on, place pitta onto the BBQ grill for 1-2 minutes on each side until warm and slightly charred but not crispy. Remove and brush with the melted butter.
Step 6. To serve, slice the lamb into thin 0.5cm slices. Assemble your gyros with a generous spoon of the Grilled Garlic Tzatziki, the lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onion. Top with some juicy pieces of lamb.